Identifying the symptoms of diabetes is not easy. Diabetes is detected based on glucose level in the body. Glucose is a type of sugar found in human blood. The glucose level varies from high to low in earlier stages and the indications are mild, making it difficult to detect diabetes.
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that happens when the sugar (glucose) level in the blood is very high. The food you eat gets converted into glucose. This glucose is consumed by the body for energy by insulin- a hormone released by the pancreas. For a person suffering from diabetes, the body either won’t produce enough insulin or becomes insulin resistant. Thus, glucose does not reach the cells required for energy.
There are 2 types of diabetes-
- Type 1 diabetes: This type of diabetes is diagnosed in childhood. The body does not produce insulin because the immune system attacks insulin-producing cells.
- Type 2 diabetes: When cells are not able to glucose efficiently required for energy. This happens either the blood sugar level is too high or cells become insensitive or insulin resistant.
Early symptoms of diabetes–
- Hunger and fatigue: The body converts the food into glucose where the cells use it to produce insulin. If this doesn’t happen, there will be no energy in the body. You will feel hungry and tired than usual.
- Feels thirsty and frequently peeing: Usually, a person should pee 7-10 in 24 hours whereas a diabetic person goes more times. Normally, a body takes glucose as it passes through kidneys. In the case of diabetes, blood sugar goes up and kidneys are not able to absorb. This increases the frequency of urine and makes thirstier.
- Blur vision: The eye lenses swell up due to the change in fluid levels in the body. This changes the shape and does not allow you to focus.
- Mouth gets dry: The body fluid gets used for the formation of urine that causes a decrease in moisture. This leads to dehydration, mouth dryness and itchy skin.
Type 1 diabetes symptoms-
- Unexpected weight loss: The body does not get energy from the food and causes muscle and fat burning. This leads to weight loss though you might be eating in good quantity.
- Vomiting and nausea: Body makes ketones when it burns fat. This build-up in the blood and causes diabetic ketoacidosis. These ketones make the stomach sick and lead to vomiting.
Type 2 diabetes symptoms-
- Yeast infections: Yeast fodders on glucose that causes infection. This occurs in the warm, moist skin between fingers and toes, under breasts and in or around sex organs.
- Sores or cuts heal slowly: Increase in blood sugar levels affects blood flow and damage the nerve. This leads to the slow healing of sores or cuts on the body.
- Numb feet or legs: This also happens due to the damage caused to nerves.
The symptoms of type 2 diabetes are diagnosed in adults but not responding well to the treatment, visit an endocrinologist. They will determine the actual type of diabetes.
Unusual symptoms of diabetes in men-
- Erectile dysfunction
- Retrograde ejaculation
- Low testosterone
- Sex drive decreases
It is important to get tested if you are more than 45 years and notice the symptoms of diabetes. This will help in avoiding the risk of nerve damage, heart issues and other problems. Visit the doctor if you notice any symptoms as mentioned above for both the types of diabetes.